Restoration Complete!

We are so please that after an epic journey to restore Peter Yates’ mural Day and Night,Winged Bulls, we can announce that the process is finally complete. Here is a sneak preview of the mural as it is today. For a more detailed understanding of how the mural has changed and how the fantastic team of conservators completed this project then take a look at the talk from Tom Organ who will talk you through the whole process.

IMG_7252

Everyone involved in the restoration process has been astounded at the results. The feel and the look of the original 1954 mural is shining through this work. You can see a gallery of more detailed images of the mural which we will be adding to as we take images.

We are putting the glazing in place to protect the mural and then we will be celebrating the results with the residents and project team. Well done everyone. 

Advertisements

Bevin Court’s Bust

The naming of Bevin Court took place in 1953 once most of the work had been completed on the building. Lubetkin had wanted to call the site at Holford Square “Lenin Court” after the Russian leaders strong links with the area. However, by the 1950s relations with Russia had cooled and another name was sought.

Although the original minutes of the Finsbury Housing Committee are not available for study, the committees discussions on the naming of the site are recorded in the general minute books of Finsbury Council.

On 14 April 1953, item 6e, ii of the minutes noted that the ‘Architects sought the instructions of the Committee as to the naming and numbering of the flats at this scheme. Resolved: that consideration of the question of naming the Blocks be adjourned to the next ordinary meeting of the Committee.’

The decision was pushed back to the Housing Committee meeting of 5 October 1953,  where at item 5c: ‘Resolved that subject to the concurrence of the family of the late Ernest Bevin, the London County Council be asked to approve the name of “Bevin Court” for Block A of the Holford Square Estate. ‘

Dame Florence Bevin sent the committee a letter stating that she feels very proud and delighted that the Council propose to name an estate “Bevin Court.” So the proposal was accordingly submitted to the London County Council and no objection was made.

On 8 March 1954 the Finsbury Housing Committee Chairman suggested that it would be fitting for a bust of the late Mr. Ernest Bevin to be placed in the main entrance of Bevin Court at a cost of approximately £80 (although the actual cost ended up being £85 along with the costs of transport of the bust £1 10s. 0d., bronze tablet £13 10s. 0d., and stone base £4).

Bevin in Bevin

Copyright John McCann/RIBA Collections

At the Housing Committee meeting 10 May 1954 the Town Clerk reported upon the Completion Ceremony held at Bevin Court on Saturday, 24th April, 1954, ‘which was attended by approximately 200 persons, Dame Florence Bevin, D.B.E., performing the ceremony by unveiling a plaque and a bust of the late Mr. Ernest Bevin.’

Dame Florence Bevin later wrote to the committee expressing her ‘warmest thanks for the courtesies and kindnesses extended to her in connection with the formal opening of Bevin Court on 24th April, and also for the gift which was made to her, which she will always treasure not only on account of its association with her late husband but because it will serve to remind her of the happy afternoon spent at Finsbury.’

Many residents at Bevin Court remember Ernest Bevin sitting in the foyer of the block looking over Peter Yates’ mural. By the 1990s the bust of Ernest Bevin had been removed and all that remained were the metal footings that held his base. As part of the HLF funded Bevin Court Restoration Project, the bust was researched and a 3D copy of the bust was created.

In order for us to create a 3D copy of a bust, we had to find a bust of Ernest Bevin to scan. The first point of call was to research the surviving busts of Ernest Bevin available to us today.

As Andrew Murray of Unite the Union’s blog on Ernest Bevin laid out, Bevin was the co-founder and Secretary General of the Trade and General Workers Union (TGWU) from 1922-1940 (which became Unite the Union in 2007). A portrait bust was sculpted in 1929 for the union. The bust still sits in the board room at its head offices in Holborn.

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 19.28.02

Bevin held many political positions,  he was Foreign Secretary from 1945 – 1950. In 1953 the TGWU donated a similar bust of Ernest Bevin to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

A third bust of Bevin can be seen in Tooley Street. It has many similarities to the other two. Unveiled on 9 May 1955 by Cllr P.J. Geoghegan, Mayor of Southwark. It was funded by an appeal to local dockworkers.

Bevin tooley

All of these bust are extremely similar. One of the key features that links all of these busts is the TGWU badge that Bevin wears on his left lapel. Residents at Bevin Court who remember the bust being in situ say that the badge was so polished that it was a bright bronze colour instead of the darker oxidised bronze of the rest of the bust.

It is likely that the bust from the TGWU is the original from which the other two, and Bevin Court’s bust were copied. Unlike the later copy in Tooley Street, the hairstyle of the bust at Bevin Court is the same as the TGUW bust, with a strand of hair over the right brow.

This has led us to ask Unite the Union if we could scan their bust in order to print and replace the bust in Bevin Court. The union agreed and in February 2015 we were able to visit Unite the Union with the iMakr 3D printing team and capture the bust using photogrammetry (the process of 3D scanning by taking pictures).

iMakr unite.jpg

The team then took the photos and reconstructed Bevin using CAD (computer aided design) software. This model was tested by iMakr, they made two mini Bevin’s to make sure the community at Bevin Court were happy with the outcome.  

3D bust

Once the testing was over, it was time to print the real thing. As the bust of Bevin was going to be over 60cm tall, he was printed in a number of different pieces. As you can see in the image below, the printer lays down plastics to build up the form leaving a hollow plastic mesh in the core.

IMG_7386.JPG

Each part of the puzzle of Bevin was printed separately and then a studio artist glued him together, finished the edges and then coated him in real Bronze! Watch this great little video of Bevin getting his head glued on. 

The final bust was glazed into his aperture in Bevin court in May 2016 and unveiled by Sue and Julia at our unveiling ceremony on 23 May 2016.

LBI Bevan Court 22.05.16-0302

 

 

 

What’s in a colour?

The Peter Yates’ mural at Bevin court has had a very exciting life, it’s been painted over twice and is now in the process of being restored. Along with the hunt to find the detail of the original scheme, there is also a tremendous amount of work being done to find out what the original colour scheme was for the mural.

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 12.41.50

The conservation team sent samples of paint layers from the mural off to a lab to be tested. Through this the team discovered that the paints had a significantly different tone in the origional scheme.

colours

Tom and his team then match up all the colours and have produced swatches of the colours that will be used to reinstate the original look and fee of the mural.

Take a look at the below image to see the difference between the colour painted pre 1989 and the original colour scheme. To the left of the image is the modern brighter colour blue. to the right is the more subtle, dusky 1950s blue.  We think the finished produce is going to look amazing.

Blues